Happy New Year to all my readers. Thank you so much for all your comments, emails, and support! Without you, I don’t think I would have been able to keep this up for so long. It’s hard to believe, but I have been posting piano teaching resources for 6 years now!
Some teachers have sent me hand written notes and cards, and I just want you to know how much it means to me to keep them and read them over, knowing that we all share the common goal of passing down our musical heritage. Every child is born loving music and I hear from readers all over the globe how much we love teaching and how we want to reach every child. And that is why we do what we do, knowing that it is not just a job, but a calling.
There is so much on my website that even I forget about some of the games I’ve made, like the New Year’s game I posted in 2008. This is a good game to play with your first year students when they come back after the holidays. It will review many of the symbols in their primer method book.
- Beginning piano students.
- New Year’s Game board.
- Star cards cut into circles.
Directions for Student/Teacher
- Print only one copy of the game board. You and your student will use the same game board.
- Place the circle cards in a container.
- Each player will choose a color of star to cover. For example, the student will cover the yellow stars on the board, and the teacher will cover the blue stars.
- Players take turns closing their eyes and drawing a card from the container.
- After drawing a card, the player identifies the symbol and places the card on the correct symbol on the game board.
- If young beginners do not know the answer, help them out because we want the student to be successful.
- The object of the game is to cover all of one color of stars on the game board.
- The student draws all the cards and identifies them as they place them in the correct spot.
- You can time older beginners to see how long it takes them. Some students freeze when they are timed, but others love it.
- To review music vocabulary words and symbols.